Saturday, October 1, 2011

Vet Med: The Academic Buffet

I have classmates who are dead set on one field or another, to the point that they don't investigate other fields.

Me? I like to sample from the buffet of veterinary medicine. This weekend I'm attending the Dairy Cattle Lameness conference at the Animal Welfare Centre. On Thursday, it was cardiology rounds at lunch and gross pathology rounds in the afternoon (mouldy bird air sacs!). Wednesday, it was clinical pathology rounds.

I'm reasonably certain I want to do something with infectious diseases, or public health, or epidemiology. I love microbiology. And I won't lie: it doesn't hurt that it tends to be one of the more lucrative careers in vet med. I thought I'd be in a lab somewhere working for the CFIA, maybe. Or maybe zoonotic diseases. Who knows?

Today, I stuck my name in for a possible summer position in aquaculture. Aquaculture! Admittedly, I'm still not the biggest fan of fish (except for pretty koi in decorative ponds, or a greasy plate of fish and chips) but most of aquaculture is dealing with infection control and epidemiology. Right up my alley!

The conference is very promising so far. Dr Weary from UBC is speaking. He gave a lecture today on scientific analysis of pain control for us first years, as well as a dairy cattle specific lecture this evening to kick off the conference. Fantastic speaker! Very articulate and entertaining. If you ever get a chance to see him speak, I encourage you to cease it.

No comments:

Post a Comment