Monday, October 3, 2011

This afternoon

I spent way too much time cleaning dried blood and neon-pink latex out of the heart of our cadaver.

I feel like that should be all I need to write for this post. Somehow, once you bring up the words "dried blood" and "neon-pink latex" (especially when brought up consecutively), nothing else seems to matter.

Midterms on the horizon now! Bugger bugger bugger. This is one of those things I don't like about AVC. A lot of vet schools have numerous tests and quizzes throughout the semester. At AVC, our marks are almost entirely test based. And we have two sets of tests - midterms in mid- to late-October, and finals in early- to mid-December. I vastly prefer more frequent but smaller tests to infrequent large ones. So I'm sitting here in the cafeteria, rewriting my notes on sheep and cow-calf operations. I dislike studying for Animal Production Systems. I love the material, don't get me wrong! But whenever I study for it, I feel like I'm wasting my time because so much of it is common sense for someone who grew up rural surrounded by 4H and farms. But I have no idea what we'll be asked on the midterm, so here I sit.

Pig roast was Saturday night. Fantastic food! There's nothing quite like pig cooked slow on a spit. It's why I can't be a vegetarian. Meat just tastes too good! Vet school has actually reaffrimed my omnivorous ways though. We go to farms. The animals are, by and large, happy. Ideal? No. But they're happy. They're clean. They're well looked after. So I make an effort to buy local so I know I'm getting the ones that were happy, and maybe one day I'll end up as a production/food animal vet making sure that all of them are happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment