Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Now my hair smells like cow

My hair, and my clothes, and most of me, actually. Today was more or less Cow Day for me. It started with a tour of an excellent dairy farm full of happy cows. Happy, friendly cows. It was a free-stall barn, and we were smack in the middle of it. One very large cow was especially friendly and did a fantastic job of upstaging the professor. As they say: Never work with children or animals! Or to be really upstaged, work with young animals. There were calves. They were adorable. One in particular adopted my friend as it's mother and spent the entire time trying to get milk out of her elbow. I give him full points for effort!

It finished with a wetlab on physical exams on cows using the teaching cows at the college. I'm a horse person, so large animals don't frighten me, but cows are not horses. They share some behavioural traits, but not enough that I felt comfortable around them. I'm much better now though! We did rectal temperatures, heart/lung auscultation, general health check (noting skin lesions, udder health, CRT, mucus membranes, etc), rumen/intestinal sounds. Finally a chance to use my stethoscope. I love cows.

In between the cows, I wrote my first vet school exam. Structure and Function was today. Two hours to diagnose a case (well, they more or less gave us the diagnosis) and trace all the clinical signs and symptoms back to the cause. I think I did pretty well. I'm not sure if I took some mechanisms down to enough detail, but I think I'll come out with a decent mark.

One down, six to go! Anatomy on Monday. Surprisingly feeling okay about that. Terrified of histology though!

No comments:

Post a Comment