Thursday, October 20, 2011

Today, I almost puked

So far in vet school, I've encoutered lots of gross stuff. Udders loaded with cheese-like mastitis. Partially degraded bird guts. A heart full of clotted old blood. For the most part, I've treated it all with enthusiastic fascination, with maybe a brief, "Ew."

But today in anatomy lab, I just about lost it. We went into the abdominal cavity today to examine the GI tract. After spending 10 minutes looking for a uterus that wasn't there (turns out our dog was spayed, which isn't common in these dissection dogs, they're usually intact), we went into the stomach. Which was full of partially digested dog food. My partially digested food was very close to coming back up my GI tract. Luckily, I wasn't a alone - one of my partners was looking just as green as I was. To the guy in our group - I owe you a beer. You're a champ. He cleaned out the whole thing without batting an eye, and without laughing at us for being nauseated.

(And, no, I didn't puke. Neither did she.)

No comments:

Post a Comment