Saturday, October 15, 2011

CSI: Avian

This morning was an avian necropsy and bandaging wetlab (bandaging was done on the dead birds we were using for necropsy). I did (apparently) a great job wrapping the wing, but broke the ulna trying to place an interosseus catheter. :oops:  In my defence though, the doctor in charge said that the ulna was very tiny in the bird I had and I probably wouldn't be able to place it, even with a 25 gauge needle (the smallest size they had on hand). My bird wasn't in particularly good condition - they were all donations, and they're usually frozen prior to use, so sometimes the tissues aren't in great shape. Mine was pretty bad. But! I did find something interesting. There was quite a large divet in the heart and bruising on the pectoral muscles in the same location which the pathologist on hand indicated might be evidence of a shooting injury.  (Those are my CSI Horatio sunglasses.)

No comments:

Post a Comment