Thursday, December 29, 2011

You know you're a vet student when...

I had a dentist appointment today. I was having a titanium implant put in my lower jaw to replace a missing molar. It's a relatively minor procedure, just done with an injected local anesthetic, then a hole is drilled in the bone and the implant is put in place. Over the course of a couple months, the bone bonds to the implant, and it's used as an anchor for a prosthetic tooth.

So there I am in the chair, having my gums cut open and a hole drilled into my mandible, and these are a few of my thoughts...
1) What size scalpel is that? Eleven? Looks like an eleven...
2) I wonder what they're using for anesthetic. There's a couple of syringes, I wonder what's in all of them...
3) Is it pure titanium or an alloy?

So after the implant was in place and the sutures were done, they did took rads to check the placement in the jaw. The practice has a panoramic x-ray machine, like this:

















Your head goes in the middle and the white arms rotate around to give a full mouth radiograph. All I could think was, "When will someone invent these for animals!?" Our radiology professor has always stressed how difficult it can be to get good dental radiographs of animals. It requires some interesting positioning and maneuvering to get the teeth lined up in a way that lets you see everything clearly. One of these things would be awesome in vet med.

No comments:

Post a Comment