Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Oh glorious Wednesday!

We have some scheduling issues this semester. Mostly the issue is asking ourselves "Who came up with this??" Case in point - Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Wednesdays are wonderful (if you'll pardon the alliteration).We start at 9:30, an hour later than usual. We have an hour of Physiology, and then an hour of Structure and Function and since it's a discussion based class, it's a nice break from the usual lecturing. Then we have a two hour (!) lunch. Finally, we have an hour of Epidemiology* and then we may or may not have an Epidemiology lab.

*And today was a bonus because one of my favourite professors was guest lecturing.

Then there's through-the-wringer Thursdays (okay, that alliteration was just bad, and I apologize). Four straight hours of lecture in the morning. Four different subjects, none of them particularly easy. After lunch, it's three hours of Anatomy lab. Not to mention that it's Thursday, so you're just generally tired all ready anyway.

We had our first Parasitology lab on Monday. Fecal samples! Huzzah! We were eagerly awaiting our samples to come out of the centrifuge the way that other people might await cookies from the oven (well, okay, not quite THAT eager). I was largely unsuccessful in finding anything in my chosen sample of foal poo. I had to get one of the faculty over to locate something for me. Just not used to looking for the eggs yet. I know what they should look like, I just don't know what they should look like in relation to everything else on a microscope slide.

They also had some preserved specimens in jars of formalin. People always compare intestinal worms to spaghetti or rice. Poppycock, I say! They look like bean sprouts. At least Ascaris suum does.

No comments:

Post a Comment