Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I had good intentions

So we didn't have class this morning. I was all prepared to pop into the anatomy lab and review some muscles and tendons and insertions. My body had distinct other ideas. Yeah, I gave in and rolled over and went back to sleep. I was dead tired. In my defense, I'm going on Saturday after the Histology tutorial. And next Tuesday is Anatomy jeopardy and I will be going to that!

Unfortunately, I missed clinical pathology rounds today. I had a doctor's appointment that ran long, so my options were eat lunch or go to rounds and well... Pizza won. What can I say? I'm weak. I will be hitting up gross pathology rounds after Anatomy lab tomorrow though! I like the clinical aspect, even though I don't want to be a clinician. But I'm a problem solver by nature, so seeing Antomy, Physiology, Histology, Immunology, etc integrated into real world cases is really helpful.

It's probably why I like Integration of Structure and Function (or Struck and Fuck, as my buddy called it in her notes...). That class is both exhilirating and mentally exhausting. It's okay, up until you get to the flow chart. We have to take each sign/symptom and draw them back through the anatomical and physiological mechanisms that caused them, tracing them back to the ultimate diagnosis. Unfortunately, we don't always know what we're doing. We're learning, but it's a lot to take in. A lot of consultation with Drs Google and Wikipedia (though I do not condone using them to diagnose in every day life, especially when used by people with no medical background at all). For example, we'll know that the spleen is involved in red blood cell recycling, but not quite HOW (because we haven't learned yet!). Our professors rightfully say we look panic stricken. Of course, panic stricken is how I'm approaching most of vet school. Most days I'm reminded of the saying, "If you can remain calm while everyone around you is losing their head, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation."

In other news, I have a job! The Society for Atlantic Veterinary Students runs a laundry service. Students drop off dirty/smelly scrubs, coveralls and lab coats and they get sent out and washed and returned. They hire two students to staff the office for 5-6 hours a week and handle intake and handing out of clean clothes. I applied and got it! Not much, but it's easy to work around my schedule (mostly just means giving up part of lunch time and getting to school a half hour earlier or something) and it'll cover my grocery bills and then some. Plus it looks good on resumes and scholarship applications!

No comments:

Post a Comment