Saturday, September 24, 2011

AVC Open House!

Yes, once a year the vet college throws open its doors to let the public see the parts of the hospital beyond the exam rooms. This is a massive undertaking. I think just about every single student and staff member helps out in some capacity. I was in radiology, explaining (to the best of my feeble first year abilities) radiographs to parents, kids and prospective students. I had a lovely chat (in between rushes of people) with a girl who wanted to know more about getting in to vet school.

I think the most common question I got was: "Are these pictures of dinosaurs?" Admittedly, having been a dinosaur-crazy kid at one point, it was actually a little heartbreaking to tell them no, they weren't. I wanted to point out that birds are sort of dinosaurs, but didn't think launching into the evolutionary history of avians was a good idea with a bunch of 7 year olds. Besides, after the eighth time a kid calls a radiograph of a crow a pterodactyl...

The parents had more trouble with the rads of the birds then the kids did though. At least the kids got it in the realm of "has two wings and flies". I had multiple parents though proudly point to the birds and proclaim, "Look sweetheart, it's a frog!" Yes, ma'am. That's the elusive Amazonian Long-Necked Beaked Frog. With Wings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment