Friday, September 9, 2011

The Elusive 77% Candidate

If you are a potential vet student, one of the first things you want to know is "How high do my marks have to be to get in?" There is no answer to that. Your grades are only one part of your application. Depending on the school you're applying to, and the rest of your application, they can be more or less important. We were told yesterday that our class average coming in was about an 87%. But remember - that's an average of 63 students, all with different backgrounds.

At all the information sessions I attended when I applied, the above question came up. All the admissions coordinator would say was "It's usually around an 85% for the class average." But he did often say that the lowest average they ever accepted was a 77% from a student who had the rest of her application be more or less perfect.

Yes, we got to meet the elusive 77%. She's just come back to teach large animal surgery at AVC. She graduated 10 years ago, and is now a diplomate of the ACVS. How cool is that? Being a waitlister, I've felt a bit like I was a second string pick, and I'm not good enough to be there. She gives me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment