Thursday, March 1, 2012

Treading water

It's a reality of any demanding academic program. Med school, dentistry, vet school, law... There will be times when you feel like "Oh, I just want to pass!" Admittedly, this is a major psychological shift for most people in these programs. If you're in vet school, it's because your academics were good enough that you rarely "just passed" in undergrad. But when you put all those high achievers in one room, the average goes up.

Admittedly, I've been doing very well. I've learned how much I need to study to keep me in the 80s and above the average, and sometimes I get a pleasant surprise in the form of a 90+. But we all falter. I've got four exams right now that I really just want to pass. Anything above a 50 is icing on the cake. Now I didn't miss much time for my father's death - I was only out 3 days. But in those 3 days, I missed two exams, and lost a lot of study time, so I opted to reschedule another one. This means I have 3 exams to write in 3 days. This is not going to be my best work. Hence the title of this post. If I keep my head above water, that's good enough right now. Hopefully, I get back on track by the end of next week. On the bright side, these are only midterms, and I have room to redeem my grade (and myself) at the end of the semester.

Which reminds me: End of first year is just 8 long/short weeks away. Six more weeks of classes, two weeks of exams and we're out. Yes! Hard to believe. I got a job interview working with the Department of Health Management studying disease in dairy cattle. Really hoping to land that, or to work in the teaching hospital over the summer.

*looks outside at the snow drifts*

*sighs*

Yeah, summer. I think it still exists. Although right now I'm convinced that if all the snow melts, Charlottetown will become the new Atlantis and disappear under the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment