Monday, February 27, 2012

Explanation of my absence

My father passed away on February 22. I was actually planning an update that day (I have no excuse for where I vanished to between the 7th and the 21st).

The reception after the funeral actually sparked the idea for this post. See, I saw a lot of relatives that I haven't seen in a really long time. They know I'm in vet school. They don't seem to know anything about vet school beyond that. I can't blame them. I mean, I don't know anything about law school.

Common questions I got:
- So, how many years is that? (I've heard that some people think it's a two year community college thing. Luckily none of my friends and relations fell into that category and most thought it was around four years.)
- Small animal or large animal? (There's only two kinds of vets to the general public.)
- My dog needs to go to the vet college. Can I ask for you? (Um... I'm a first year. I only get to deal with dead things.)
- How many in your class? Really, 60? That's a lot! (This was especially funny to me, because AVC has one of the smallest classes in North America, and my cell biology undergraduate class was 500+)

Fortunately, no one asked me to diagnose anything.

I'd like to deviate a moment to give a shout-out to all the faculty at AVC. They have been amazing to me, helping me to reschedule tests and get back on track. My classmates have been equally as fantastic. I will say that for anyone with an acceptance to AVC who is considering the school, the community within the school is so close knit and helpful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment