Wednesday, February 1, 2012

One month in and back in the swing

Yes, we're pretty much back in full swing. We've written two tests since my last post, with a quiz tomorrow, and another test next Thursday. We seem to have a never-ending stream of tests this semester, due to some courses having more than 1 midterm. For example - for histology, we have a midterm and a final. But histology only officially goes until March 5. So we just wrote the midterm for it on Monday. The final is March 5. Then we switch to embryology. And that has a midterm and a final. Anatomy has quizzes this semester. Parasitology has 3 tests and a final. You get the picture. I counted the other day - this semester, by April 27 when we write our last final exam, we'll have written 19 tests/exams this semester. There's only 17 weeks in the semester. Meaning we have a minimum of one test every single week. Yikes.

On the whole though, I am enjoying the semester. Anatomy is a bit tedious this semester. It's both the pain of learning new stuff, and the pain of trying to remember old stuff. I'm enjoying epidemiology, more or less. I like the concepts, I just haven't really liked any of the lecturers at this point.

My structure and function group is doing our presentation this Friday. That will be nice to have out of the way. At least we're doing it on a week when we don't have much else to worry about. Last week's group had the parasitology test on Thursday and then had to present on Friday. Our presentation is on the function of the udder. My section is on the milk ejection reflex so I'm mostly talking about hormones and neural pathways. Nothing too hard, though I'm hoping I can manage to say "magnocellular neurosecretory cell" without stumbling. While researching "milk ejection reflex", I remembered a rule I should know by now: Always specify the species. I got a bazillion results on breastfeeding. As in, human breastfeeding. (Not that I'm against breastfeeding, I'm all for it in both humans and non-human animals. It just wasn't what I wanted!)

So there's January gone already. Three months to summer break. Bring it on! To my pre-vet readers from Atlantic Canada - I know that time may be flying for me, but I know it's dragging for you. Hang in there, those interview invites WILL come. I look forward to meeting you!

(And my foot has more or less healed up. Never got a big impressive bruise, unfortunately. Boo. And she was very good this week, no fuss with her feet at all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment