Thursday, March 20, 2014

BToW: Down Time

"What do you like to do outside of school?"

Regardless of what you may hear, vet students don't spend every waking minute either at school or studying. You just CAN'T. You'd burn out and/or go postal before the end of first semester. Sure, we study a lot. We spend a lot of time at school. I have had 12 hour days at school and that was before adding on any extra studying I had to do that night, and I'm not even on clinics yet. So what do we do to retain our sanity? We must have other interests, right?

Well DUH.

I'm probably one of the biggest nerds you'll ever meet. Science fiction, fantasy, video games, I'm a massive Japan-o-phile (in case previous posts haven't tipped you off). I'm not a huge table-top game person, mostly because I suck at them (Who has two thumbs and could lose to a toddler at Settlers of Catan? This girl.)

Doctor Who and Orphan Black (Season 2 April 19!!) take up way too much of my time. I have not one, but two sonic screwdrivers. And I currently have a Tuesday night date every week with Face Off on Space (the Canadian version of SyFy). I'm always glad that exams end as the summer blockbuster season is ramping up. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Amazing Spiderman 2... I will manage to fit in all of these around clinical rotations somehow.

I've actually lost track of how many anime/manga series I've followed through my life. It started when I was a little kid, though I didn't know that's what it was when I was watching Astro Boy. Then Sailor Moon (which I would end up re-watching as an adult to catch all the stuff that was horribly edited out), and in no particular order: Pokemon, Digimon, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (don't judge me), Tenjou Tenge, Outlaw Star, The Demon Ororon, Chrome Shelled Regios, Darker than Black, Devil May Cry, Princess Mononoke, Yu-Gi-Oh, and most recently, Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan. I'm probably missing some in there too, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind. Because there's nothing like watching people get devoured by huge titans to remind you that maybe studying chicken viruses isn't so bad.

Addition Japanese obsessions: cosplay, geiko and maiko, food, kimono (I own 10, I think), lolita fashion, J-pop and J-rock, and I own a cheap katana.

Lest you think I'm a typical pasty stuck inside gamer geek (okay, I am pasty...), I am reasonably active. I've been running since December, and I'm doing my first 5k in April, and I've been an avid horseback rider since high school, though sadly separated from my horse since vet school started. I don't play hockey, but I do watch it. Go Penguins!

As you can tell from my blog background, I love the sea. Tall ships, pirates, anything to do with the sea-faring days of yore. I grew up on the Atlantic surrounded by that and I can't imagine living somewhere that I couldn't drive to the ocean in a couple hours.

Finally, as many of my classmates can tell you, I bake. Usually while I'm procrastinating.

2 comments:

  1. You are right, we would be GREAT friends :P It is too bad we don't live close at all. But hey, SDN will work :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a huge Doctor Who fan :]

    I've been waiting to watch the 50th until my boyfriend has watched all the other episodes.... we're almost there! :D

    And today is a storm day too! Perfect conditions for some Who ;)

    ReplyDelete