Thursday, October 4, 2012

Validation!

Vet students are, on the whole, neurotic. More than one of us admitted to getting a little giddy the first time we saw ourselves in our coats or coveralls with our stethoscopes around our necks. I don't understand much about traditionally girly things, but I'm guessing that's sort of what a bride feels like the first time she tries on her wedding dress.

I have been obsessing over coveralls lately. I own two pairs. One is actually a youth pair. Have I mentioned previously that I'm only 5'0" tall? Unfortunately, the youth pair has long sleeves (not great for rectal palpations!) and it's slightly too short in the torso meaning I get a slight wedgie when I wear them and bending at the waist isn't really an option. When I bought them, I didn't realize exactly how full a range of motion I'd need to do a physical exam on a cow or horse. It also lacks enough pockets. A fourth year on clinics recently came in to the laundry office to buy a new lab coat and proclaimed: "Remember this when you get to clinics. You will need a lab coat that's two sizes too big because it's got to fit you, and all the stuff you have to carry." For labs right now, I'm carrying a pen, a penlight, a thermometer, a pair of gloves, and a tube of handsantizer. Pockets are essential.

The other pair is short sleeved and has lots of pockets! It even has the slits on the sides so you can reach into your pants pockets underneath. Yes, they are proper coveralls. They're also men's, like just about every set of coveralls I've ever seen. They fit in the chest, and are a little big in the waist, fine in the hips... but the crotch comes halfway down my thighs. Oh good lord, I look like I'm off the set of MC Hammer Goes To Vet School (note: not a real movie).

I'm no idiot, I know that when I start rotations in fourth year, farmers probably won't take me seriously. I'm 5'0", 120 lbs, and I'm so baby faced that I look like I'm 12. Oh, and there's the almost inevitable sexism, but that's another post. In some attempt to look credible, I've been toying with shelling out the $77 to get women's coveralls from a Canadian company online. It's a ridiculous price, given that men's are usually about half that and can be bought in several different stores around here. Then I tried to convince myself I was just being stupid and shallow. Who cares what I looked like? I know my stuff, I'll prove myself that way! When did I get all conformist??

Then today, another fourth year stopped in to buy coveralls. Sifting through the racks, trying to find a pair that fit her, she said, "I'm just trying not to look like an idiot when my external rotation starts next week." Hallelujah! Sweet validation! It's not just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment