Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Cows don't care if it's cute

With Clinical Orientation II and physical examinations looming in my future, I went to buy a digital thermometer today. First off, I couldn't figure out why all the stores were so busy at 1:30 on a Tuesday. Oh, right, the normal students haven't gone back to school yet and are still buying supplies. Bugger 'em.

Anyway, back to the health and pharmacy section I go. Now, digital thermometers are generally marketed to parents with young children. So there's a lot that come in cute designs like frogs and koalas. Last I checked, cows don't generally care that the thermometer is adorable, they just want you to put their tail down and stop poking them there. Being on a budget, I grabbed the cheapest one I could find. Then I noticed it said "30 second read time". Wait, they come in different times?? So I looked at the others. "15 seconds", "10 seconds", "7 seconds". Hm. If I'm sticking this into the business end of a green horse, or a cat having a bad day, or a goat with an attitude problem, shorter is probably better. The 7 second one would have been the best option, but I didn't want to spend $40 on something that could very well end up entirely inside where-the-sun-don't-shine, or dropped into a pile of the byproducts of where-the-sun-don't-shine. I ended up with the 15 second one. It beeps when there's a fever. Or at least, a fever by human standards. Oh, and it's waterproof. So it can be washed for when I invariably drop it in poo.

I also had to grab a cheap watch, because like all normal people, I just use my phone these days, but I can't hold my phone and a stethoscope too while taking HR and RR. The watch is also able to be washed. Or at least rinsed. Hopefully though, stuck to my wrist, it won't end up in poo.

So I'm all set for labs now. I have my stethoscope, my watch with a second hand, and my thermometer.

Wait.

Bugger.

Pen light. Knew I forgot something.

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment